Harrogate fire station has urged residents to check their smoke alarms after assisting with a house fire in York.

The blaze broke out at a bungalow in the city at 1:59am but local crews were able to extinguish it using an aerial ladder from Harrogate.

Luckily the smoke alarm was able to warn the occupants and they got out safely.

And this morning Harrogate fire station has urged people to double check their own alarms.

In a post on social media, they said:

“In the early hours of today, we were at a house fire. Luckily the occupants had working smoke alarms and got out safely.

“Please make sure yours work if you have them and if not you can contact you local fire station to see about getting some fitted.”

All persons involved in the fire are accounted for and unharmed. Fire investigations are now taking place.

Read more local stories from Your Harrogate here.