The Boroughbridge community is rallying behind a local pub that was hit by fire over the weekend.

The Ship Inn, Aldborough suffered an electrical fire in the earlier hours yesterday (Sunday).

Severe damage has forced the owners to close their doors indefinitely.

And members of the Boroughbridge community have launched a GoFundMe page to support the owners.

The page reads:

“As many of us know there as been an awful electrical fire at The Ship Inn, Aldborough, leaving Brian and Elaine without any food stores, damages to kitchen appliances and having to temporarily close their doors.

“Hospitality has been hit hard enough over the past year. We are trying to show them some community sprit and help them in their time of need as they have done with others in the past.”

The fire broke out at around 2:15am yesterday.

Crews from Ripon, Thirsk, Knaresborough and Harrogate battled the blaze, believed to have originated from a tumble dryer in the kitchen.

The incident log from North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue said:

“Crews discovered a fire in the kitchen believed to have originated from a tumble dryer.

“Crews used 2 hose reel jets, 1 covering jet, 4 breathing apparatus, thermal imaging camera’s, 1 short extension ladder, positive pressure ventilation (Fan) and lighting to extinguish the fire and assist them with the incident.”

The pub made national headlines in 2011 when it was visited by Princes William and Harry before a friend’s wedding.